Clinical Psychologist B Appl Sc (Disability Studies), Grad Dip Psych, BSocSc(Psych)(Hons), MPsych(Clinical)
With extensive experience practicing clinical psychology throughout Australia, Taryn uses her diverse background in physical, sensory, intellectual disability and social services to help you feel empowered to create meaningful change in your life while appreciating your unique needs and character.
Her time spent working with people with chronic health conditions within private practice, outpatient settings, and counselling services, means Taryn also brings skills, insight and empathy to individuals, couples and families experiencing these situations.
She will also use relevant online resources and apps in her treatment approach to support you and to measure the progress of her evidence-based therapies.
Areas of experience
- Psychological impact of health conditions, such as renal disease, COPD, diabetes, cancer, thyroid problems, vision loss, intellectual and physical disability
- Psychological preparation for surgery
- Bereavement and loss
- Adherence to positive health behaviours
- Adjustment to major life events
- Self esteem
- Chronic pain
- Stress management
- Communication skills
- End-of-life issues
- Alcohol abuse and dependence
- Relationship difficulties
- Workplace problems
- Anxiety management and relaxation
- Pre-pregnancy support
- Parenting support and education
- Impact of ADF service on individuals, couples, families
- Performance enhancement and mental skills for performers
Qualifications and Professional Membership
- Master of Psychology (Clinical), Bond University, Gold Coast, 2010
- Honours Degree in Psychology, Bond University, Gold Coast,2008
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology, Monash University, Melbourne, 2006
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Disability Studies), Flinders University of South Australia, 2000
- Registered Psychologist, QLD, 2008
- Registered Psychologist, Psychology Board of Australia, 2010
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society
- Member of the Clinical College (Australian Psychological Society)
- Specialist Clinical Psychology Provider with Medicare
- Trained in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, Solution Focussed Therapy, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Triple P Positive Parenting Program and Motivational Interviewing
Taryn Oak: Further background
Taryn has a respectful, professional and genuine style so that working with her can be a nurturing and nourishing experience as you set a meaningful plan for therapy early on in your therapeutic relationship. She finds this approach helps to maintain focus while being mindful of the need to change direction if and when this becomes important.
As a passionate advocate of Attuned Pyschology’s commitment to only delivering evidence based therapies, she will be able to measure her performance over time so that her work will always be attuned to achieving the best outcomes for you.
You’ll find Taryn accompanies her ‘talk therapy” with other modes of learning, such as visual, auditory and kinaesthetic/movement, enabling her work to appeal to a variety of preferences so you can confidently embrace change in your life.
And these modes can also be supported by e-mental health resources and applications into her treatment approach to help you get the best outcomes possible by using everyday technology devices to track progress and change.
Furthermore, he extensive experience in hospitals, outpatient services, private practice and counselling services within regional communities means she can sensitively navigate individuals, couples and families to manage the psychological impact of chronic health conditions:
- from the point of diagnosis
- to decision support regarding treatment options
- to recovery from surgical procedures and symptom management
- to post traumatic growth
- to end of life planning, if needed
Taryn’s therapeutic approach
Taryn works from a cognitive-behavioural and mindfulness based cognitive therapy framework.
She is passionate about the delivery of mindfulness based interventions, and will help you:
- cultivate mindfulness in your everyday life
- accept negative thought patterns
- develop the ability to respond to negativity in skillful ways, according to your values
These solution-focussed techniques will draw out your strengths and help determine your preferred future directions.
Children, parents, dance, and the art of being positive
In her research, Taryn has explored what makes people happy and the factors associated with life satisfaction.
By adopting positive psychology principles, she will help you rise to life’s challenges, make the most of setbacks and adversity, find fulfilment in creativity and cultivate what is best within you for leading a meaningful life.
For parents, Taryn considers attachment needs, particularly parent-child bonds, so caregivers can become more attuned and responsive to their young children’s emotional needs. She is also trained in Triple P Positive Parenting Program, which is a parent and family support system designed to prevent and manage behavioural and emotional problems in children, and create family environments that encourage children to realise their potential.
Her background in dance and music performance as a cellist, enables Taryn to help performers work through performance anxiety issues and has worked with dancers, dance teachers, music teachers, and musicians, helping them with goal setting, imagery, self-confidence and body image issues, audition preparation, concentration and mental preparation, and balancing training, study and life commitments.